Global Concepts Charter School Music Department offers an instrumental music track in band from grades five through twelve.
Band Courses Offered at GCCS
5/6 Band & Lessons
7/8 Band & Lessons
HS Band & Lessons
Student Performance Opportunities:
Winter & Spring Concerts
District Band Concert
ECMEA & NYSSMA Solo Festivals
Music Festivals & Competitions in WNY
Gala Exhibition for the Arts
GCCS Music Department
- Ms. Andrea Labounty - Band Director Grades 5-8, General Music Teacher Grades 5-6
- Ms. Gretchen Throm - Choir Director Grades 5-12
- Mr. Paul-Joseph Struckman - Orchestra Director Grades 5-12
- Mrs. Alexandra Savka - Violin Teacher Grades K-4
- Ms. Sarah Wetherbee - General Music Teacher Grades K-4
- Mr. Jacob Jay - Band Director / Jazz Band Director, Music Theory Teacher Grades 9-12
Students have the opportunity to...
- Learn to play the violin starting in Kindergarten
- Sing and make music in General Music classes K-6 adhering to the NYS Core Arts Standards
- Choose a Music Elective that best suits them in Grades 5-12 (including Band, Orchestra and Choir)
- Perform for live audiences both in school and out in the community
- Work with and observe professional musicians through workshops and field trips
What makes our program unique?
- All students play violin as part of our K-4 curriculum
- Students who choose an instrument can rent from the school at a discounted price
- Music-making opportunities are offered at all grade levels for students with a desire to learn
- we program diverse and inclusive repertoire that is representative of our student population and community
- Our high school classes take place in the Ruben Santiago-Hudson Fine Arts Center which is a facility specifically designe for the arts
Why is music important?
Students who are enrolled in arts education programs have greater school engagement and higher daily attendance, and their parents are more likely to be active in school activities, according to the results of a new study.
Research provides evidence supporting what we already know: arts education engages students, builds community, expresses our shared humanity and experience, and contributes to joyful learning environments.
Here at Global Concepts Charter School, we strive to give our students a well-rounded music education starting in kindergarten and continuing through their academic careers.